russellhoneyman at yahoo.co.uk
An experienced creative, writer and publisher, with stints as freelance journalist and subeditor, I've led media and manufacturing projects in UK and Africa, and have credits in the Guardian, BBC, Iemmies and TV World. I've subbed, designed newsletters, written press releases and set up websites for various good causes.
As a creative self starter I help manifest new concepts. As an empathic people person I listen and balance consensus with priorities so maximising team motivation.
My diverse experience includes project management roles in media, retail, and manufacturing. I've served with international media organisations (Iemmies, Sithengi and Banff) and worked on print and on-line publications in Europe and Africa.
I am educated to MSc Level, and have certificates in Creative Writing, Person Centred Counselling, and Art. In 2010 I refreshed my skills with an NCT Journalism course at Journalist Works in Brighton.
Skills and Experience
• Project Management in publishing and print
– Director/Manager with Africa Film and TV and Copyman;
– responsibility for delivering the project: budgeting and financial reporting; team motivation; project management.
– print production; buying and distribution; fundraising and advertising sales (telesales, email, Internet and direct mail);
– editorial: commissioning, subediting, layout, advertising copy.• Journalism (published news stories and features): – Guardian Environment, UK Regional Press: The Argus, The Argus Community Website, Africa Film and TV, Broadcast Magazine, Sight and Sound, Television Business International.
• Managing Editor:
– Africa Film and TV (weekly email plus quarterly and annual print versions)
– Sithengi Daily (daily festival guide, print)
– Greenleaf Brighton (quarterly, print)
– Esquire Magazine London
– Johnston Press Horsham Hub: County Times, Sussex Express.
• Video production for web including presenting, shooting, editing on own equipment.
• General skills: Full Driving Licence, Conversational French, First Aid VRQ level 2.
• Web design (Freeway) including web payment (Worldpay).• Computer skills: Proficient: Email, Internet, Excel, Word, Quark, InDesign, Photoshop, email marketing using Constant Contact. Adequate: FileMaker Pro, SAGE, html, Freeway, web design, key words, meta-characters and SEO.
1985 - BSc BioChemistry - London
1991 - MSc Forestry and Paper Technology - UMIST
2009 - Diploma in Creative Writitng - University of Sussex
2010 - NCTJ Journalism (Subediting) - Media Law, and Public Affairs (Local Government), News and Central Government affairs - Brighton Journalist Works
2011 Levels 1 & 2 Persona Centred Counselling - City College Brighton
Publications, Associations & Events
Guardian Environment (London) (March, February 2011)
Argus Newspaper (Brighton) (various, 2009, 2010, 2011)
International Emmy Almanac (USA) (2002)
Television Business International (TBI) (London) (various, 1997-2003)
Cable and Satellite (London) (various, 1997-2002)
TV World (various, 1994-6)
Africa Film & TV (1996-2005).
Africa Film & TV (1996-2005)
Southern African Economist (SAE) Top Companies Report (1994-1995)
Greenleaf Newspaper (Acting Editor, 2007).
Publisher & Founder:
Z Magazine (1986)
British Windsurfer (1989)
Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) (1991)
SAE Top Companies Report (1992-1995)
Africa Film & TV (1993-2005)
Southern Style (1997-1998)
Law Society of Zimbabwe (2000-2003)
Travel Trade Zimbabwe (2001-2003).
Reports and Consultancies:
Regulation of African Television (for Article 19) (2002)
Content Development in Africa (for IICD) (2002).
Trade Shows and Exhibitions:
Sithengi Film & Television Market (Cape Town, 1996-2002)
ITU Africa (Johannesburg, 2001)
MIPTV/MIPCOM (Cannes, 1996, 2001, 2002)
International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) (Amsterdam, 1996, 2001, 2002)
Banff (Canada, 2000, 2001, 2002).
Jury member International Emmy Awards (2003)
Jury member Banff Television Festival (2000, 2001 and 2002).
Life’s a Journal: Russell Honeyman’s journalism 2009-11.
Samples of subediting, layout and websdesign work